This Specific Role
We are hiring for a new addition to the Team who brings Windows desktop support experience, a clever and curious mind, and a desire to explore and grow. This new team member must have a few years professional experience working in IT, either for another outsourced IT provider, an MSP, or in-house IT department. Writing and clear communication skills are important and your application should show us you can write well, have interests outside of IT, and are excited not just for any job but for a job working with us. (Review our site thoroughly before submitting your application.)
At Macktez we provide technology planning, consulting, and support for clients in startup, non-profit, and creative industries. Team Members are divided into Consultants and Directors; at least one of each is assigned to every client. Directors typically take the lead in creating long-term strategies for clients, writing recommendations, and setting up the guide posts for specific projects. Consultants take responsibility for handling day-to-day activities, implementing solutions, performing maintenance, and interacting on-site and in-person with clients. Promising new Team Members who dont have the experience or range of technical skills, project expertise, or client management aptitude are sometimes brought on as a Technician. New team members joins as a Consultant or Technician.
Our billing arrangements with clients are time-based, all Team Members are paid hourly, use our internal systems to track their time, and submit time records regularly. But every minute of your day neednt be billed to a client -- Room is made in our weekly schedules for daily and weekly planning reviews, internal dialogs, shared lunch every Friday, paid research, and professional development. We also have a solid benefit package and encourage reasonable workload and working hours.
New Hire Profile
- You have a range of technical experience, on your own and with several other companies, working with professionals on Windows and/or OS X.
- Youre tired of being the smartest person in the room. You are looking for real collaboration with people whose knowledge complements your own.
- You are curious, self-motivated, and driven toward continuous self-improvement.
- You have the ability to analyze a complex technical scenario and communicate clearly, either in person or writing, a solution you recommend pursuing.
- You look forward to active involvement from more senior Team Members.
New Hire Process
Macktez is a mid-size company -- currently 20 people in NY -- that has grown at a deliberate pace over the past 20 years. We have long-term relationships with our Team Members, and our new hire process helps ensure that our team works well together.
Some helpful advice:
- You must apply via the hiring page on our web site. Resumes emailed directly will not be considered. (Really.)
- Since communication skills are such a priority for us, your cover letter is a big deal. (The layout of your resume is not.) If you do not include a cover letter with your resume, your application will not be considered. In your cover letter, show us you took the time to look around our website and learn a little about us.
- We like to see work experience at startups, design, non-profits, architecture, and other creative firms, though that is not required.
- If your resume doesnt make clear the extent or source of your Windows or MacOS experience, make sure your cover letter does.
- Show us that you read closely by letting us know precisely precisely at which posting you found out about this position. And by spelling our name correctly. (Yes, applicants do spell it wrong.)
After you submit your information:
- If you seem like a promising match, one of Partners will schedule a brief phone interview with you. We suggest finding a phone with good sound quality so you two dont spend your brief initial interview asking if you can hear me now.
- If we both feel were a good fit after that phone interview, well bring you in for in-office interviews with one to three Team Members. You dont need to wear a suit (and please, no tie) but do look professional and make sure youre here on time.
- If that goes well, we bring candidates back for another round of in-office interviews with a different group of three Team Members.
- After that, each candidate is handled individually. Some are assigned a (paid) research projects, others asked for writing samples, some hired on the spot.
Macktez is a very supportive work environment where you will be encouraged both to take responsibility for your own client projects and to collaborate with the rest of our skilled Team Members. Plus youll get as many of our custom-made Yellow Pocket Notebooks as you can use!
To read more about us, feel free to read our extensive site; if you enjoy what you see, apply on our hiring page: